What is ParaView?
) is an open-source, multiplatform application that is used for viewing 2-D and 3-D data sets. ParaView has the capability to visualize very large data sets in parallel. ParaView supports a lot of file formats. For example, VTK, PLOT3D, DEM, STL, AVS files are available. TECPLOT are not supported at the present time.
Do you have an interest in ParaView? You can download ParaView from here
and easily install it.
You may get further information from this thirdparty website.
How to use
Show vector data
1. First the user selects the data they wish to operate on from the Selection Window. It will be highlighted when this occurs.
2. The user can then select Filter->Alphabetical->Calculator Attributes from the main menu or click on the button. This will open the Calculator interface.
3. Enter the name of Result Array Name. e.g. “VELOCITY”
4. Enter the below equation into the calculator interface.
5. The Accept button must be pressed before the output will be generated.
6. Create the Calculator filter again.
7. Enter the name of Result Array Name. e.g. “VELOCITY_MAG”
8. Enter the below equation into the calculator interface.
9. The user can then select Filter->Alphabetical->Glyph from the main menu or click on the Button.
10. Select “VELOCITY_MAG” as Scalars and “VELOCITY” as Vectors.
11. Click Apply.
Open VTK files from Send To (for Windows user)
Download and edit ParaView(File).bat and ParaView(Dir).bat for the environment on your computer and put them on your 'Send To' directory. You can start ParaView and make your VTK file loaded automatically by righ-clicking your VTK file and select ParaView(File).bat on 'Send To' menu.
- What you have to modify in ParaView(File).bat and ParaView(Dir).bat
You have to change the path of ParaView. Default path is set to
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ParaView 3.2.1\bin\paraview.exe"
- Where is 'Send To' directory
Usually 'Send To' directory is placed here:
C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\SendTo
We can use two batch files, ParaView(File).bat and ParaView(Dir).bat. These files are ascii so that you can check them with Notepad. ParaView(File).bat is for loading a VTK file automatically on ParaView. Note that it can only accept one file! If you want to use multiple VTK files, you can use ParaView(Dir).bat. It sets the directory of a file you selecting as temporal default data directory of ParaView. You can immediately find out your VTK files when you click 'File' menu -> 'Open' on ParaView.
Converter: TECPLOT -> VTK
My program tec2vtk
might help you to convert TECPLOT format into VTK format. After compiling it, run an executable and specify the name of your TECPLOT file and an VTK file to be generated.
This program aims to create legacy VTK files from Tecplot files generated by any FEM software. Tecplot files have to contain a mesh data and corresponding nodal values. Currently it supports line, quad, triangle, tetrahedron, hexahedron, and prism elements. The program is still under development and may fail.
On Windows XP
- Ubuntu 8.10 desktop 32bit
- Qt 4.4.3
- CMake 2.6
- ParaView 3.4.0
- Install CMake.
- Download and compile Qt.
- Download and compile ParaView.
sudo apt-get install cmake
Donwload and compile Qt4
- Go to Qt website and download open source version of latest Qt.
- 'tar xvzf (downloaded Qt file)'
- 'cd (extracted dir)'
- 'make '
- 'sudo make install'
- 'gedit ~/.profile' and enter the below at the bottom.
- logout once to enable changes in ~/.profile
Download and compile ParaView
- Go to ParaView website and source file (tar.gz) of ParaView3.4.
- 'tar xvzf (downloaded file)'
- 'mkdir ParaView3.4-bin'
- 'cd ParaView3.4-bin'
- 'ccmake ../(extracted dir)'
- enter 'c' to configure. (Ignore a warning that Qt4.4.3 is not supported officially.)
- enter 'g' to generate the buid-set.
- 'sudo make install'
- finish! try with entering 'paraview'.